Gun Trusts in Texas
Creating an Estate Plan for Your Firearms in McKinney
Gun Trusts are an excellent way to legally purchase and own a Title II Firearm (also known as “NFA firearms”). Using a trust to purchase FRA firearms can expedite the process for purchasing certain regulated firearms. Under the National Firearms Act and Chapter 46 of the Texas Penal Code, certain weapons are regulated by the Federal government and the State of Texas.
Title II or Class III weapons include:
- Machine guns – defined in the NFA as a weapon which is designed to shoot automatically without manual reloading, by a single trigger function
- Short-barrel shotguns –a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long
- Short-barreled rifles – these are intended to fire one shell or projectile at a time from a shoulder position. The firearm has a barrel of less than 16 inches in length
- Destructive devices – classified as any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, including bombs, grenades, rockets, missiles, mines or parts to make such devices, as well as large bore firearms that are not suitable for sporting purposes
- Silencers – a muffler or suppressor or parts intended for use as a silencer
- Any Other Weapon (AOW) – a “catch-all” category for concealed firearms other than a rifled-barrel handgun
- Antique firearms – these are excluded if manufactured before 1898 and do not use conventional ammunition
How Can A Gun Trust Help Me?
A gun trust offers many benefits above just allowing you to legally use a firearm.
The following are benefits in creating a firearms trust:
- No fingerprint
- No filing fees
- No signature from a Chief Law Enforcement Officer
- Avoid probate
- Creditor protection
- Flexible to Federal law changes
- No franchise tax
- Multiple trustees, allowing more than more person to have legal access to the firearms
- No annual meeting
- Expedites purchases
- Share items without committing an “accidental felony” by naming a “lifetime beneficiary”
- Social enjoyment of firearms
If you are interested in creating a gun trust, contact our McKinney estate planning lawyers for a free initial consultation.
“He explored many options with us and explained and answered all of our questions. We would recommend him and the law firm to anyon ...”- Jeanne Meek
“My attorney took good care of me and got my Estate Plan in order quickly and thoroughly. The ladies that assisted in getting ...”- Celeste McNeil
“Taylor and his team are amazingly professional.”- Gail Hillman